Saturday, May 5, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 107.04


“In a manner of speaking.” White laid a hand over the folder. “Tell me, How old are you, Mr. Trubshaw?”

“Twenty, why?”

“What year were you born?”

“Nineteen sixty-eight.”

“Yes, I thought as much.” White tapped the folder with his finger. “Your lad, you see, was born in eighty-nine, the year after you claim to have gone to the library.”

“It's not a claim, Inspector. You can check the college records.”

“I will when I'm able. The problem comes from young Sam Trubshaw being in his mid twenties. Assuming we find him, it might be difficult for him to come to terms with a father who's not only his inferior intellectually but is considerably younger than himself.”

Percival sat back. “He's older than me? That's a bit weird, isn't it?”

“Just a tad.”

“And what did you mean 'inferior intellectually'? I'm top of my class in college.”

“Just that, I'm afraid. Top of the class in 1988 means very little now. Your lad, as you call him, built the most advanced computer I've ever seen.”

“A chip off the old block, then? I built a ZX81 from a kit.”

“He built this from old mobile phones and defunct computer chips.”

“There you go then. Like father like son.”

White shook his head. He couldn't grasp the concept that this boy might be the father of the missing lad. He'd seen some odd things in his years of heading Laverstone's Serious Crimes squad –some of them this week-- but this had to be the strangest. He opened the folder and pushed the missing persons report across to Percival. “We have to find him first.”

No comments: