Sunday, May 20, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 109.05


The android moved a step backwards, away from White, then performed a smooth about-turn and headed directly for the night watchman, who had only a second to get out of the way but remained rooted to the spot. The android crashed into him, the action more of a shoulder-charge than any deliberate attempt to injure. A moment later it was through the tutor's room and away.

White hurried to the watchman's side. “Are you all right, sir?”

“My arm...” His face was screwed up in a grimace. White glanced at his left arm, the angle of which suggested at least one break. He'd be lucky if his shoulder wasn't damaged. Peters hovered nearby.

White pointed through the doorway. “Go after the robot. I'll call an ambulance for our friend here and request a couple of uniforms to look after the place.”

“Yes, Sir.” Peters legged it through the tutor's room and away.

White patted the old man's leg. “You stay still, sir. I'll call for an ambulance. Is there anyone else you'd like me to tell? A wife? A child?”

The night watchman shook his head. “Joan died years ago and my lad's in the army somewhere. There's just me and Nipper.”

“Nipper?”

“My dog. He'll have no-one to look after him. Will you make sure he's all right?”

“Of course sir. You just lie quietly while I make the call.” He stood, pulling out his phone. Why did he always get dog duty?

No comments: