Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Dead Rite chpter 107.01


“I don't claim to be anything.”

The suspect was just a kid, a bit backward, if his appearance was anything to go by. A jacket over a Pink Floyd tee shirt? What kid his age even knew about Pink Floyd? They used to be one of White's favourites. Dark Side of the Moon came out when he was studying politics at Manchester Uni. He still had all their albums on vinyl. Not that he played them very often. Beryl preferred the television.

“But you said you'd travelled here from nineteen eighty-eight without stopping between then and now?”

“How should I know? I went into the library looking for a book and when I come out all the cars have changed and people look at me oddly. What happened to Mary, eh? That's what I want to know. Now people are telling me I've done a Marty McFly.”

“A what?”

“You know, Back to the Future?” The film? Only I've gone forward in time to my own future to find I'm not here.”

“Calm down, son.” White pulled out the chair and sat. “We're getting ahead of ourselves here. What book were you looking for?”

“Why does everyone ask me that? Brannigan's 'Elements of Design'. Don't see why it matters. The library didn't have it anyway. Just loads of bones and these two chaps in suits.”

Chaps in suits?” White looked at the little tape recorder and sighed. There was no tape in it. He'd forgotten. Mark it up to being called in at three in the morning. “Who were they, then?”

I can't remember what the tall one was called but the other was a bloke called Harold Waterman.”

No comments: