Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 115.02


“Everybody loves you, don't they?” White took a right turn and the tree canopy folded over the smaller road, plunging them into gloom. “I'm always the bad guy but everybody loves Imogen Peters.”

“I'd rather you kept my middle name to yourself, sir. It's not something I'd like bandied about, if you don't mind.”

“I'm not surprised.” White grinned. “If I had a girl's name I wouldn't want it bandied about either. Particularly to uniform branch. They can be such a bunch of wankers about something like that.”

“Yes sir, they can. I can't help it if people like me, can I? I'm a naturally likeable person, just as you can't help being a cantankerous old bugger.” He held up his hands in mock surrender. “Just reporting what other people say. Not me. I've known you long enough to understand that beneath that hard shell of miserable of goat there beats the heart of a child who pokes frogs with pointy sticks.” Peters glanced across. “Besides, I learned the secret of being liked and I can't blame you for never learning it.”

“What's that then? What's the secret to not being a cantankerous old bugger?”

“You have to be nice to people first.”

“What? Like complement their choice of tie before you knee them in the knackers?”

“Sort of, sir, yes. Along those lines, certainly.”

“Well I'm having none of it.” White slowed. “Look, here's the Magelight offices. Doesn't look like much, does it?”

No comments: