Thursday, July 12, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 117.03


White remained smiling all the way up the lift and out of the door. The two security guards stood to watch them as they returned to the car and left the property. A glance in the rear-view mirror showed then taking out cigarettes before returning to duty.

Peters stared at him. “I don't get it.”

“Get what, exactly?” White spared him a glance. The sight of his sergeant's face almost puce with frustration set him laughing again.”

“It's not funny, sir. You've alienated our one potential suspect and-stroke-or witness to the whole shebang.”

“He's guilty as all hell and you know it, sergeant. One look at his face and I knew that as surely as I know Beryl likes Tom Jones. Trouble is, he's too clever for us. We'll never catch him. Fingering Jimmy Hunt for any of these deaths with be like trying to staple honey to the bulletin board.”

“Why did you have to antagonise him? I've never seen someone turn hostile so fast.”

“I had to needle him to know if he's really in charge.”

“He's the director of the company.”

“But not the man in charge. I've know Jimmy Hunt all his life and he would have shouted me down if he'd been in charge. He's still frightened, and if not of me then of somebody else. He doesn't know what's going on any more than we do and he's running scared.”

He gave Peters a curt nod. “Well done, by the way. You make an excellent Good Cop.”

No comments: