Monday, July 23, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 118.07


He passed his daughter back to Gillian, his hand lingering for a moment on on the red-gold locks. Where had she got those from? Gillian's hair was dark and prior to meeting Jasfoup and becoming platinum, his had been a sort of pepper-pot brown. Perhaps from his father's side, then, though as far as he was aware... “Jasfoup?”

“Yes, old bean?” The demon looked up from his bloodberry.

“Do angels...wait. Have you got a signal?”

“Not as such, no. I have a signal to the transmitted in Dis. I was registering the souls Lucy freed with the records department. Not an easy task. I'm having to go through the missing spirits files and correlate then to those I've caught the scent of as she released them. Alas that I'm only catching about one in three, mind. It's not an easy task to undertake though it has its rewards. Look here! This is my first Australian spirit. I've never had one before. It shows how wide ranging Manoach's demon's were. I'd wondered how there were so many spirits here and so few missing persons reported in Laverstone.”

“Oh.” Harold checked his mobile but there was no signal. “Can I have the password to the Dis transmitter?”

“No. Demon business only. Do angels what?”

“What? Oh. Do they have golden hair? I wondered where Lucy got her colour from.”

“Angels are supposedly the embodiment of perfection. Lucy with have whatever colour hair you think is perfect.”

“How lovely.”

“Heh.” Jasfoup chuckled as he returned to his task.

“What's so funny?”

“You won't think so when she grows up. If she likes a boy who thinks green hair and dreadlocks is the bee's knees.”

“Oh.” Harold grimaced. “I'll cross that bridge when we come to it.”

“Or burn it beforehand.” Jasfoup patted his shoulder. “She won't always be Daddy's little girl, you know. I've seen killers born out of the love a man has for his daughter.”

No comments: