Friday, August 3, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 120.04


“Easy for you to say. You're the one with the clipboard and stopwatch. Why don't you give us a hand?”

“I can't, can I? How many times have we gone over this? To help you undo another demon's word is tantamount to the opening salvo of a civil war. I don't think anyone wants that to happen.”

“Isn't the act of constructing these the opening salvo?” Harold muttered the incantation over another spirit cube Dill had released. “I'd call the arming and building of shock troops a clear message of an impending civil strike.”

“That's why the don't employ you in the war cabinet.” Jasfoup checked the identity of the soul just released. “Harold Burbridge? He's on my list. I wondered where he'd disappeared to.” He lifted up the writing spirit. “Where did you hide all your money, old son? Nobody ever found the proceeds of that bank job in Chiswick.”He released the spirit and marked it off in his bloodberry. “What were we saying?”

Harold and Dill moved down the line. “Civil wars.”

“Right, yes. I can't be seen to ally myself with Legion, can I? Manoach might have fewer demons at his disposal but each one of them is a damned sight more powerful than me, if you'll pardon the pun.”

“How can they be? You're an independent demon, in your own corporeal form, doing your own thing. They have to possess people before they do anything. That doesn't sound more powerful to me.”

“You don't get it, do you? They possess people because they can.”

No comments: