Monday, August 6, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 120.07


Jasfoup grinned. “I am the artiste.”

Harold took a step, stopped and turned back. “Do you have a lollipop?”

“Probably, why?”

“May I have it?”

“I suppose so.” The demon fished in a pocket and pulled out a banana and liquorice hard candy lolly. He reluctantly handed it over. “I usually get something in return for these, you know.”

“Such as?”

“Signatures on contracts, future promises, sexual gratification.”

“How about all three?”

“From whom?”

“Ah.” Harold tapped his nose. “That would be saying.”

“Obviously.” Jasfoup frowned. “You're not going to tell me, are you?”

“That would spoil the surprise.”

“I don't like surprises.”

“You'll like this one.”

“Will I?” Jasfoup handed over the lolly.

“Thanks.” Harold crossed to Gillian and his sleeping daughter and nudged her awake. “Darling? If you clear the last two rooms I'll give you a lolly.”

Lucy yawned and rubbed her eyes with the heels of her hands in exactly the same way that Harold did, though whether she'd learned it by nature or nurture it was hard to say. She reached for the sweet. “Thank you Daddy.”

Harold beamed. “Think nothing of it.” He called to the zombie. “Dill? Or Sam.”

“Yes?”

“Would you stop what you're doing and open up the other two rooms for Gillian and Lucy, please? I'll crack on here.”

“I'll have to go with them.” Jasfoup waved his Bloodberry in the air. “Don't release the spirits until I get back.”

No comments: