Thursday, August 9, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 121.03


Peter stepped outside to guide the vans to the house while White busied himself removing the nails from the door. He tapped at the ends until he had enough purchase to use the nail-pulling end of the crowbar, replaying the events of the last few days in his head. “Sergeant?”

“Yes sir?”

“You were talking yesterday about your nephew being caught with some cannabis.”

“That was the day before, but yes. No developments since, as far as I'm aware.”

“Not that it's any of my business, but you could probably put a word in on his behalf.”

Peters beckoned a group of constables forward. “I don't think I will, if it's all the same to you.”

“Why? How much cannabis was he caught with?”

“Ten pounds of resin, sir. I read the report.”

“A tenner's worth? That's barely two joints.”

“No sir. Ten pounds. A hundred and sixty ounces. Street value twenty-five grand.”

“Ah.” White pulled out another nail. “Best keep out of it.”

“I thought so.” Peters turned to the constables. “Right I want two of you to set a perimeter. No-one in or out without proper authorisation. The other two do the same at the back. Check out the garden and the shed as well. I don't want to find he's got another four bodies stashed away. I doubt he has but you never know with nutters--”

White growled. “Sergeant.”

“My apologies. Mentally impaired individuals, whether temporary or suffering from a long-term disorder.”

“Much better.”

“”Right.” Peters clapped his hands once. “What are you waiting for? A tea break?”

No comments: