Thursday, August 23, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 123.02


“Good. Leave no stone unturned, as they say. Not that I think there'll be any more surprises. I think this was an act of desperation and a need to cling to the past.”

“For what it's worth, I'm inclined to agree.” Eric picked up his bag. And handed it off to his assistant. “Use the heavy gauge body bags,” he called after her. “I don't want any positional damage.”

A susurrus of comments swept across the gathering of neighbours. “A body. There's a body, he said.” “Told you there'd be a body if the coroner was here.” “It's his poor missus, I'll bet. He's done her in an' left her body in the freezer.”

White groaned. “Did you have to shout that? There'll be hell to pay now. Beamish will give me one of his memos.”

“That's what Chief Superintendents are for, Cameron, memos. It's what they teach them nowadays. Policing is Paperwork, always has been.” Eric clapped him on the arm. “As least we won't have a problem moving the victim. She's as light as a child. I could all but carry her under one arm.” He grinned ad left them to help his assistant get the gurney through the front door.

“Gordon Bennet.” Sergeant Peters nudged White's arm to direct his attention to the road. “Tell me that's not a film crew.”

White felt a familiar churning in his stomach. “Would that I could, and to compound the problem, here's CS Beamish to pour oil on burning waters.”

No comments: