Saturday, September 22, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 126.05


“Please be careful with him.” He looked into the toy's red-bead eyes but they neither blinked nor altered their distant gaze. “We've been through a lot together, he and I. I wouldn't be here without old Jasfoup.”

“Don't be silly, Harold.” Gillian tapped out a text on her mobile. “You're investing far too much into something that should have been thrown away years ago, not given to a another child to invest in. Now hurry up or we'll be late.”

“Thrown away?” He could hear the threat of hysteria in his voice and modulated it. “This is an antique, handed down through generations. My grandfather gave it to my mother, she to me and now to Lucy. I very much hope Lucy takes care of it and hands it down to her child in due course.”

“Really, Harold? An heirloom? Does it still have any of its original pieces?” Gillian looked back at her mobile, finished the text and sent it. “Honestly, how old is it supposed to be?”

“The story says Herbert had it when he was a child, so the thirties?”

“Are you asking me or telling me?”

“Telling you. The Nineteen-thirties at the very earliest. Probably earlier.”

“And how often has it been repaired? Do you even know what it looked like when it was new?”

“What do you mean?”

She nodded at the toy. “Look at it. It has plastic eyes, a polyester suit, acrylic stuffing. Did it have any of those in the thirties?”

“Well, obviously not, but...”

“So how can you say it's an antique?”

No comments: