Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 130.08


“I don't think I actually said that. What I said was he would have to be disposed of because he was fundamentally opposed to our ideals. Of course, if you want to talk about particulars, Mr. Waterman, I'd have to mention hierarchy. My demons, and I say 'my' only to differentiate between the two species because they are my associates and in no way am I expressing a possessive intimation over them, trace their origin to Legion, who was a demon long before any angels fell to earth. Legion was part of His experiment in population. Not that you'd read that in any Bible, you understand, just as you won't read about Lilith in the authorised versions of Genesis. In the Beginning, He made two thousand inhabitants for the world, decided He didn't like them possessing all the knowledge of the elohim and gathered them all up again. He hadn't invented Death yet so the best he could do was make them all into one identity and drop them into Sheol. Is it any wonder they're not terribly keen on the place after that? All they want is a bit of freedom and the ability to experience the world though the limited senses of a mortal. That isn't so much to ask, is it?”

“Well, when you put it like that, I suppose not.” Harold frowned, trying to find a flaw in the logic. “It's not right to eject people's souls for pleasure and profit, though.”

“Isn't it? It was their right. Do you remember what God said to Adam? About all the animals and plants being for his use and benefit?”

“I wasn't there, but I do remember reading about it.” It was true. Harold had been to Eden, but later, when Eve was up and about.

“Well, can't you imagine he said the very same thing to Legion? And God in infallible, so you can;t add 'except for mortals' later on. Possession is the right of every demon.” Manoach glanced at Jasfoup, who was standing to one said, emptying the contents of his inside pocket onto a tomb. “Ever demon who once comprised Legion, anyway.”

No comments: