Sunday, November 4, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 130.13



Harold relaxed his guard slightly. It was a ruse designed to provoke an attack but Manoach didn't seem inclined to hurry the fight along.

“You know something, Mr Waterman?” Manoach opened his voluminous coat and extracted a pistol. It was, Harold could see, an early Remington though with handguns being, for the most part, illegal in Britain he'd never bothered to cultivate an interest in guns. “People get very cocky when they think they've won, but winning isn't always about being the last man standing. Sometimes there's an unexpected surprise waiting in the wings.”

“You're mixing your metaphors, I think.” Harold took a step back, though the range of the pistol probably negated it. “Also, surprises are unexpected by definition.”

“Tut tut. You disappoint me. You're more than a collection of air, surely.” Manoach motioned with the pistol. “Send the girl to me. I'll keep her as a hostage until I leave the facility, then I'll let her go.”

“How do I know you'll keep your word?”

“Would Iesu have healed me if he saw dishonour in my heart?”

“I suppose not.” Harold nodded at Lucy. “Go on, love. Go with the man. Take his hand.”

No comments: