Friday, November 9, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 131.02


“You don't sound very enthusiastic about your mother making golems.”

“Nor was I. She'd used the spirit of a house spider with rather disturbing results. Can you imagine a spider that could change the size and shape of its body at will?” Harold shuddered. “It wasn't pleasant.”

“Still, now she knows better.”

“I hope she knows better than to tamper with the forces of life and death. They're dodgy at the best of times.” He looked toward the zombie as the security door opened. “Ah. Here we go. We can get on again.”

“Wait.” Gillian held him back. “What are you going to do? You can't let him have this technology.”

“No, I can't.” Harold watched as Dill/Sam pulled open the door and looked through. “What can I do, though? I can't just leave him as a zombie. He's just a kid.”

“A kid that would eat his way through Laverstone in a few months. No. You'll have to kill him.”

“Kill him? Why?”

“Because he's a zombie. He'll bring the whole system down. You know the lore. Any creature which reveals the existence of Denizens must be destroyed.”

“Rules are made to be broken.” Harold winked. “Let me have a think about it.”

“Don't think for too long. Once he has access to the creation of a golem he's on his way to controlling the world.”

“Yes, I'm with you on that front. Immortality wasn't meant for mortals.”Harold tugged his jacket straight. “I'd know about it otherwise.”

No comments: