Sunday, November 11, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 131.04


“Why? It's not fair when I don't get what's funny.”

“Sorry, love. Some things are just for grown-ups.” Harold shook his head, half laughing. “How old is she again? I know she's in the terrible twos but honestly, listening to her you'd think she was in double figures.”

“It unnerves me sometimes. I have to remember how unusual she is. If she were born to any other parents but us...”

“They'd decry her as possessed. She's so far ahead of the curve I worry sometimes what she'll be like when she's older. I have visions of an alcoholic ten year-old.”

“That's not going to happen.” Gillian kissed the top of Lucy's head. “We'll keep her guided on the right path.”

“If we can work out what the right path for her is. She's obviously a descendant of Legion. What if her path is to infect the world with demons. What is Lucy is one of the seals from the book of revelation and we're encouraging the apocalypse by raising her.”

“I'm not a seal, Daddy. I'm a real girl.” Lucy's voice was heavy with sleep after her recent exertions.

“She sounds like Pinnochio.”

“And you know what happened to him.”

“Only after a visit from the Blue Fairy.”

“And there we are, back to your mother again. Has she been to the hairdresser?”

No comments: