Saturday, November 24, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 132.03


“Beg your pardon, sir?”

White tapped the sign again. “It says here that the burial chamber is eleven feet long but we know it's a lot more than that. There's a whole bloody underground complex down there. Just under our feet.”

“I'm not saying I disagree with you, sir, but I wonder how far you've thought this through.” Peters put aside his mobile to count on his fingers. “One, you've reached this conclusion because the robot apparently vanished and the zombies, or cryogenically corrupted test subjects as you referred to them, have been spotted in the woods. Two, there are some tracks here, though they are ambiguous and three...”

“Three?”

“Well...you can get a bit single minded when you've come to a conclusion about something.”

“I resent the implication of that, Sergeant.” White could feel the insubordination rising in the younger man and was compelled to head it off. “You've always trusted my instincts. Have I ever been proven wrong?”

“Once or twice sir, when you get like this.”

“Like what?” White frowned. “Be honest. I won't hold it against you.”

“You can get single-minded about things. Your conspiracy theories for example. The way Chief Superintendent Beamish looks sideways at people and Harold Waterman at the manor.”

“I'm right about him sergeant, you mark my words. He's always managed to wriggle out of trouble but he'll slip up one of these days and then I'll have him. Look at the number of suspicious deaths he's been involved with over the years and not one of them turns out to be his fault.”

“He is a prominent landowner here. He can't help it if someone's found on his land.”

“Or in his kitchen, apparently.”

“Even I was suspicious about that one, sir, but the coroner said natural causes.”

No comments: