Sunday, November 25, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 132.04


“There's something about him I don't trust. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be behind all this.”

“Really, sir? I don't see it myself. He's too clever by half to have someone die in his own home. Someone he cared about, I mean.”

“That's my point, though. How clever could a man get to have their own child's nanny killed in his own home to throw suspicion off himself.”

“A double-bluff, you mean? An I'll-kill-her-in-my-house-to-throw-suspicion-off-myself gambit?”

“Exactly, sergeant. Waterman's devious like that. I'd had dozens of charges on him in the past and none of them stuck. Did you know he defrauded the church Christmas club?”

“No. When was this?”

“Years ago, when I was a constable. He took advantage of the preferential interest rate offered to children to make a tidy profit from investments.”

“Really? You can make that stick, sir. That's an offence against the Charities Act.”

“I would have done, sergeant, but Waterman was a minor at the time. He was entitled to the discount rates.”

“So how was he defrauding the club?”

“He was collecting money from all his school friends and investing that as well. He got a better interest than the post office and passed half the increased profits to his classmates, pocketing the rest.”

“Were there complaints?”

“No, but that's not the point. He's a plotter, sergeant. A plotter to the core.”

“So you've been trying to pin something on him for thirty years?”

“That's right. That's how slippery he is.”

“Like I said, sir. You're obsessive.”

No comments: