Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 132.06


“Ah.” While looked at the entrance to the grave mound. “Actually, it's not the robot I was worried about. More the person who was controlling it. We still have no idea who was behind all of this, other than it has something to do with the military.” He raised an eyebrow. “And we know how much the military like their secrets to be spread around.”

“You think an armed squad is going to take you down?”

“That level of pro-active retaliation hadn't yet occurred to me, sergeant, so thanks for that. No, what I was actually concerned about was a military manoeuvre encompassing this area to prevent our egress. I was more worried about being detained than killed.”

“Ah. I'm sure you're right sir. I'm quite certain the army detains subjects they think have discovered their armies of robots and zombies. They probably give them a good talking to and send them home.”

“Don't be facetious, sergeant. It's a legitimate concern.”

“Of course it is, sir. I agree wholeheartedly.” He hesitated.

“What?”

“Have you got a mobile signal?”

White checked his phone. “Yes. Only two bars, but better than a poke in the eye with a blunt instrument. I've only got three bars of battery, mind.”

“Can I change a setting?”

“If you like.” He handed his phone over and Peters fiddled his way through the menu system for a minute or two before handing it back.

“There you go, sir. I've set it so any pictures you take are automatically uploaded to a folder on the carrier's website. If you are attacked, you can leave us proof and a trail to follow if you mysteriously vanish.”

“Thank you sergeant.” He took a shot of the man's grinning face. “Very useful, I'm sure. You can be the first suspect in my murder.”

No comments: