Sunday, December 2, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 133.04


Harold glanced up at Gillian, standing within earshot with Lucy grisling against her hip. The interrupted sleep was getting to the child. He would be glad when this was over and they could finally get home to bed. He glanced at his watch. It was the afternoon already.

“Hold that thought a moment, would you?”

“I don't need to mate. It was you that was being all wishy-washy.” Sam grinned, exposing yellowed teeth and retracted gums. If the zombie didn't eat soon he'd rot before their eyes. Or insist on eating them all. He shuddered as he jogged back to his two favourite ladies. “How are you still awake? It's the middle of the day outside.”

“Don't tell me that. My body wants to shut down and I won't let it. As long as I don't see daylight I can keep fooling it but one glimpse of the sky and I'm down. I'm running on reserve as it it. Even a hint of daylight and I'd probably burst into flames.”

“Oh dear.”

“Why? Are we about to move to an above-ground level?”

“It's certainly a possibility. Let me just check.” He trotted back to the zombie who was eyeing the unconscious guard with altogether too much interest for his liking. Where is Jim Hunt?”

Sam blinked at him, the milk-white of his eyes clearing for a few seconds. “I don't know without checking the database for his last log entry but his office is on sublevel three.”

“Underground?”

“That's what sub-level means, yes.”

“Great.”

No comments: