Monday, December 3, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 133.05


Harold headed back to Gillian. “We'll be remaining underground for a bit. Jim Hunt's office is three floors below ground. Or two floors, if the umbrella company is American.”

“I'm sorry?”

“Well, they call the ground floor the first floor, don't they? Perhaps if they're counting underground levels they reference the ground level as 'sub level one'.”

“That would be ridiculous.”

“So is calling ground level the first floor. I mean, the site of an explosion isn't called 'first zero', is it?”

“That's different.”

“Not really. They just don't like to be reminded they're standing on dirt.” He looked back across at the zombie. “Talking of things that should be in the ground...”
“Yes?”

“What do you think of him?”

“You know my thoughts on zombies.” Gillian glanced behind at the demon who was still trying to put names to the dispossessed. “I'm with Jasfoup on that score.”

“I thought you were all 'undead rights'?”

“Not for zombies.”

“Well...Dill's all right but I don't trust Sam as far as I can spit.”

“But they inhabit the same body.”

“Yes. It's a pity about that.”

“Why?”

“I might want you to take them out if Sam gets a bit over-enthusiastic about regenerating. I'm worried he'll turn out to be a greater threat than Manoach's demon and golem army ever were.”

“A threat to whom, though?”

“Does it matter?”

“If I'm going to put an axe through his forehead it does.”

No comments: