Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 133.21

“We're fine at the moment.” Gillian's voice echoed through the lift shaft so much that Harold couldn't determine her location. “I managed to snag a ladder on the side of the lift shaft. Lucy's is holding onto me.”

“Can you get her to the ladder as well? Would she be safer there?”

“She's too frightened to move. She won't even speak at the moment.”

“Oh.”

“I know what you're thinking. I can hear you from here.”

“What?” Harold's arm muscles were beginning to burn from exhaustion. “I'm not thinking anything.”

“Yes you are. You're blaming me for having her wings clipped.”

“I'm not.” He frowned. Actually, that was exactly what he was thinking. If Lucy still had her wings she wouldn't be afraid now. Gillian had insisted on her daughter having as normal a life as possible, and that meant without her wings. “I'm just wondering if I could survive the fall. I can't hold on much longer.”

“No need, Harold.” Jasfoup's voice was soft in his ear, the demon's breath hot against his cheek. “I've got you, old son.” Harold felt the breeze generated by the leathery wings as Jasfoup's strong arms enfolded him. He felt like a child again, wrapped in the spicy brimstone scent of his mother's arms. Wait! When had Ada ever smelled of brimstone?

“No, save Lucy first.”

“I can't. Sorry. Contractual obligations require I save you before anyone else. If you die my current tie to the mortal plane is severed and I'm gone until some other fool summons me.” A gentle tug encouraged Harold to release his hold on the rail wheel. “You're going down on me.”

No comments: