Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 135.06


“Me?” The demon actually looked affronted. “What have I done?”

“Pretty much everything that's ever happened has been because of you. I'm here because of you. Julie and Felicia were here because of you Lucy's here because of you. Dill –”

“ – is nothing to do with me. Dill exists solely because on Manoach and his demon-infested plan to invade Hell with a bunch of golems that can be thwarted by a two-year old. I mean, how rubbish a plan is that, when a two-year old girl can dismantle a whole company of immortal beings? And Manoach was nothing to do with me. I wasn't even born when Legion lost three dozen of its component beings.” His tirade suddenly lost momentum. “Lucy? You think Lucy is my fault? I thought you liked having a child? I remember you saying once that the ability to bear a child was the only regret you had about being a vampire. I mean, there were plenty of things there I could take issue with but the desire to procreate wasn't one of them.”

“You fathered a child with Julie.”

“Accidentally. How was I to know she could conceive? Nobody ever has before. I thought I was infertile. Besides, it was in the middle of the attempted genocide of the nephilim. It certainly wasn't intentional.”

“You just happened to bring into being the one thing that could save us all?”

“Yes.” He frowned. “Though when you say it like that it does sound pretty cool.”

No comments: