Saturday, January 26, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 136.02

Jasfoup gave him the sort of look usually reserved for someone who didn't clean up after their dog after stepping in it. “I do not have a 'special relationship with Devious' or any other imp, except by association with you.” He sniffed. “I can tell the position of every imp, demon, devil and angel within a hundred yard radius. Further, if there's no interference. You'll recall I've given you advance warning of the presence of angels before now?”

“Yes, but that's usually because your face is melting.”

“Har-de-har.”

“Are there any other denizens near?”

“I can't tell unless they have elohim blood.” The demon turned in a full circle. “I don't think so. Other than Gillian, Lucy and you , anyway.”

“We have elohim blood?”

“Of course. You're direct descendants of angels. Not that it's blood, exactly. More like 'the spirit of the universe' if you'll pardon the hippiness. What we know of the universe, anyway. For all I know, the elohim could be as insignificant to the wider cosmos as humanity is to the immediate neighbourhood..”

“If I didn't know better I'd accuse you of being rational.”

“But you know better. I'm a demon, Harold. I'm creationist by definition. I'm such a creationist I could teach science in Louisiana.” He frowned. “As long as I didn't have to attend any school religious services.”

“Why are you so hard on Louisiana?”

“Hard? I'm not. I'm the exact opposite. I laud the regressive administration of that underprivileged state. They teach creationism and will stone to death anyone who disagrees with it. Also anyone who shaves, cuts their hair or sports a tattoo or pierced ears. Now give me an 'Amen' and a 'Hallelujah'.”

Harold scowled. “No.”

No comments: