Sunday, January 27, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 136.03

Jasfoup clapped him on the back. “You're no fun, Harold.”

“I didn't realise this was supposed to be a jolly trip.” He peered though the observation window in the next door, shrugged and moved on. “An empty one.”

Jasfoup bent to look through as well. “No it isn't.”

“I just looked in.” Harold pushed him to one side. “There's nothing in there at all.”

“I beg to differ.” Jasfoup tried the door. “There's a couple of monkeys on the far side of the room. Some mice, too, I think, though they could be any small rodent. I can't tell from their spirits from here.”

“Honestly, I can't see a thing.”

“How odd. There must be some sort of camouflage netting in there.” Jasfoup gave him a nudge. “Or a cloth painted to look like the wall behind.”

I saw that on a film, once.” Harold rattled the door knob. “I don't get it. This is supposed to be a research facility. Why isn't there anyone here? Apart from those possessed workers downstairs and a couple of security guards we haven't seen anyone in the facility.”

“That's because its closed.”

“What?”

“There was an alarm that sounded just after we got in the elevator. The whole place has been evacuated and the military police called. There's going to be an armed squad in here in the next half an hour.”

“You're joking.”

“Yes.” Jasfoup gave a light, tinkling laugh. “More like twenty minutes.”

No comments: