Friday, February 8, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 137.02


“Hardly the same thing, old chap.”

Perhaps not, but think how useful it would be to have a golem about the place. We could stay open all hours. Night, even, though there aren't enough customers to make the extra electricity expenditure worth it.”

“You don't pay that, either.”

“Semantics.”

“Plus, having the shop open would encourage the homeless to pretend to browse for the free heating.”

“Homeless?” Harold frowned. “Are there homeless people in Laverstone?”

“Of course, Harold. You just choose not to see them. From a demonic standpoint it's an admirable trait. I almost wish there were more people like you. It would swell the ranks of the damned in double time.”

“Surely I'm not the only person who doesn't notice the homeless?”

“No, but you're the only one who doesn't feel guilty about it.”

“I see.” Harold looked the demon up and down. “Gillian? Is there a central area where homeless people are kept?”

“A shelter, you mean?”

“Yes, I think I must. You'd know, wouldn't you? You do work with the poor.”

“I take pro-bono legal cases for them if I can't claim it on legal aid, yes.”

“Well then, I shall make a donation to whatever shelter you see fit. Call it a Christmas gift.”

“It's a bit late for Christmas, Harold.”

“A Beltane gift, then.” He raised his nose at Jasfoup. “There. I don't give tuppence for your scheming.”

“I hope you give more than that, Harold.” Gillian laughed. “It was his idea to double-bluff you for a donation.”

No comments: