Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 139.08

“Ah, no.” Jasfoup held up a hand. “Not me. I'm just a lowly prospector of contracts. I'm not going toe-to-toe with a couple of thousand pre-Fall demons, thanks all the same.”

“Nor I, Sir.” Devious hefted the box of computer parks. “I just need to know where to put this and I'll be on my way, if you don't mind. An imp's work is never done, as they say.”

“You're cowards, both of you. Didn't we just establish that Legion would be perfectly amenable?”

“Not exactly.” Jasfoup glanced at Devious. “You decided that on account of your familial relationship. Lucy certainly has some affinity with her, since they share the ability to hold demons.”

“How does she do that? There's no visible indication of them.”

“Ah, well. Have you ever seen an M C Esher drawing? The one where yu can't decide if its a field of white butterflies of black lizards?”

“Yes? I Know the one you mean.”

“Well it's entirely unlike that.” Jasfoup nudged Devious with his foot. “Come on, imp. Let's find somewhere to put all that rubbish.”

“Gee thanks for the support, guys.”

“You don't need support, Harold.” Jasfoup flashed him a toothy smile. “It's just a visit from your Great-to-the-power-of-twelve Aunt. I hope you've got some fancy cakes in.”

“Cake?” Harold looked down at Lucy. “We've got biscuits but I don't know about cake. I'll have to send Dev-- Oh. I can't, of course. Perhaps Aunty Legion will enjoy some tea and biscuits.”

“Cookies!” Lucy grinned with a mouth that was as toothy as Jasfoup's wasn't.

“I don't think we have any, darling, unless you mean biscuits, in which case we do. Cookies are a type of biscuit, not an interchangeable term for them, no matter what your cartoons tell you.”

No comments: