Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 140.02

“Laverstone Manor.” White stroked his stubble with the thumb and fingers of one hand, closing them far enough to partially crush his bottom lip as he considered what possible reason a robot from Magelight would be travelling to the manor. Was it returning home? “It wasn't carrying anything.”

“Beg your pardon, Sir?”

“It wasn't carrying anything.”

“No.” Peters opened the car and pulled a chocolate bar from the glove box. “Should it have been?”

“It was when we saw it at the college and now it isn't. Now it's headed to the manor. Now, I don't know what that suggests to you, Sergeant, but is suggests to me that the robot is gathering technology for its master down there.”

“Hell?”

“Magelight. Everyone knows they have underground facilities.”

“If you say so.”

“What are you eating?”

Peters looked at his confectionery. “Protein bar, Sir, on account of all that running. Honey and nuts. Good for you, the wife says. Gives you a slow release of carbs and sugars.”

“It sounds fantastic.”

“I've got another one if you want it?”

“I think I can resist.” He narrowed his eyes, debating it. “Got any chocolate? Real chocolate, I mean, not the health food rubbish.”

“I'm afraid not, sir,” Peters perked up. “I'm got a bag of mixed nuts if you like. They got a bit crushed in the backpack, mind.”

“Crushed nuts?” White shook his head. “No, Sergeant. I was offered those in the playground, once. You can keep them to yourself.”

No comments: