Saturday, March 23, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 140.05

“Is that really ethical, though?”

“I'll get him on driving recklessly, or something. Bald tires perhaps. Harass him with minor offences until he's so worn down prison would be preferable to living in Laverstone. Ethical? No, but then your mates think I'm soft on him because I've always been a strict advocate of proper procedure and the requirement of a little thing called evidence. Not that your canteen boys will care overmuch about that.”

“They're not my mates, sir, I'm just relating what I've heard.”

“Point taken, sergeant, but my point is that they see no arrest and think I'm a bent copper. What? Is Waterman supposed to be giving me a few backhanders?”

“Nobody says that, sir, but you have to admit it looks a bit odd. Four bodies and Waterman always comes out of it smelling of roses.”

“It does look odd. I've thought that myself on a number of occasions but he has a large house and thirty-odd acres of land. It's not surprising crimes are commit on his manor. The Prince of Wales owns half of Cornwall but nobody's arrested him. Should we arrest the houseowner if someone's reported a burglary? The victim of an assault because they had it coming?” White shook his head, amazed at his short-sighted colleagues. “Slippery slopes, sergeant. I'd rather stick to the law, if you don't mind.”

“Of course not, sir.”

“On the other hand, if he's got anything to do with this blasted robot, I'll have for theft, assault and property damage, then throw away the key.”

No comments: