Friday, April 12, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 142.11

“Oh, a ghost, eh?” White winked at Peters. “Let's see if I can see him.”

“He's not there at the moment. He doesn't come during the day.” Lucy lost interest in the doll and dropped it on the floor. “You'll have to come back at night when I'm asleep.”

Peters picked up a teddy and gestured with it. “How do you know he's there if you're asleep?”

“He whispers to me in my dreams. He's not very nice.”

“What does he say?”

“He tells me about all the children he murdered and cut up into little pieces to feed to his dogs.”

White frowned. The story had just rollercoasted from a child's innocent imagination to something really quite sinister. “Where did you hear all this?”

“I told you. When I'm asleep.”

Peters nudged White's arm and nodded toward a television on the wall. White gave him a silent 'O' of understanding. “Can I ask you something, Lucy?”

She frowned, seeming to consider the question carefully. “I suppose so, as long as it's off the record.”

White stifled his smile. Her statement almost made his question redundant. “Do you watch television a lot?”

She nodded.

“And do you sometimes fall asleep while it's on?”

She nodded again.

“I see.” White squatted to be at eye level with her. “I'll have a chat with Daddy about the ghost. How about that?”

Lucy nodded. “All right. I asked him about it and he just said it was the television but he might listen to you.”

No comments: