Saturday, April 13, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 142.12


“I see. Well, I'll have to come back when he's here, won't I?”

“Yes. You must.” Lucy looked up at him with eyes wider than a cat's. “Cross your heart and hope to die.”

“Er...” White looked at Peters, who shrugged in a 'you got yourself into this' kind of way. “All right. I cross my heart and hope to die, but I'm not really sure how to arrest a ghost. I can't put handcuffs on him, can I?”

Peter's grin belied his serious tone. “You could try a spirit level, sir.”

“Very good, sergeant. Most amusing.” He turned back to Lucy. “Right. If there's nothing else you need to show me I have to look for my fugitive now.”

“Are you going to check all the doors and windows?”

“On the ground floor, yes.”

“And the closets?”

“Not really the closets. We'd only check those if we thought there was somebody in the house who shouldn't be.”

That's a relief, then. Daddy says we have skeletons in the closet but I've never found any and I've looked ever so hard.”

Peters laughed out loud and earned himself a Lucy scowl. At least he had the decency to look embarrassed.

No comments: