Saturday, April 6, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 142.5

There's nobody in the house.” Waterman looked defensive. “Nobody I don't know about, anyway.”

You seem defensive, sir. Is there any reason for that?”

Waterman glanced sideways at the three seated women. “No, Inspector. I've just got company at the moment. My great aunt from the Middle East. She's come a long way to see us and I really don't think this is a good time.”

Peters put in his tuppence worth. “It won't take us long, sir. Just a quick look around the house, check the doors and windows, that sort of thing. We'd be neglecting our duty if we didn't take all possible precautions to keep you safe.”

Still” Waterman put on a plastic smile and pressed his palms together. Curiously, there was a line of dried blood in the cuticle of his right thumb. “It's really not convenient at the moment.”

White nodded at his thumb. “Did you cut yourself, sir? There appears to be dried blood on your thumb.”

Is there?” He examined the offending digit. “So there is. I broke a cup a short while ago and got a sliver of porcelain embedded in my hand.”

I don't see an injury.”

I sucked it until it stopped bleeding.”

I see.” White glanced at Peters who gave him an almost imperceptible nod. “I'm going to have to insist on coming inside, sir. If you'll recall, I still have a valid search warrant for the premises.”

Waterman looked as if he was going to involuntarily defecate.

No comments: