Thursday, April 18, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 143.03


“What happened to the people with detached spirits?”

“Packed into an independent golem, the last I saw.”

“No, not Dill. The other ones. The ones we don't care about?” He saw the look on Ada's face. “The people we don't know personally, I mean.”

“How should I know?”

“They're people. Shouldn't you be able to track them or something?”

“Not if their spirits have been displaced, no. All I have is a date of death for anyone in my area but if their spirit is still attached to their body I won't know about them. Why would I?”

“Then how do we find any left over? Isn't there a spell or something?”

“Why is it important?”

“Because the inspector thinks they're cryogenic failures. He thinks they're people who have been missing since the eighties and are being revived, only to began decaying.”

“From what? Freezer burn?” Jasfoup grinned. “What an utterly preposterous idea. How did he latch onto that one?”

“I don't know, but don't you think it's important? Whatever the inspector thinks, they're like Dill was. They're a danger to the community. You always said, obvious supernatural behaviour harms us all.”

“I did, didn't I? If people start believing in zombies they'll start believing in vampires and werewolves and dog knows what else. We've got to find all the black weed zombies and put an end to them.”

“But how will we find them.”

A suit of armour clanked through the kitchen door. It stood there for a moment until it got their attention, then held up a hand.

“Stop?” Harold frowned. “Stop what?”

“It's not trying to tell us to stop.” Ada pressed a cup of tea into his hands. “It's trying to tell us to guess five words. It's playing charades.”

No comments: