Saturday, May 25, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 147.05


“Er...” Harold had to think about that one. He'd asked Jasfoup once, but the demon had been necessarily vague. “They're as true as you want to believe them to be.”

Dill poked about, pressing the screen as if it was touch sensitive but of course it wasn't. “What's that supposed to mean?”

“I don't really know. It's what Jasfoup told me when I asked him the same question.”

“Well then. Do they have demons in other cultures or just in Christianised societies? And wheat of cultures where more than one religion exist? Does one push out the other, or is the older religion bunkum because Christians say it is?”

“I don't know.” Harold turned to the imp, who had obtained some sort of brown paste from somewhere and was dipping his finger into it, licking it off with his long, grey tongue. He started at Harold's mention of his name.

“Don't involve me in this. What do I know about religion?”

Dill left off examining Orias and turned to him. “Do you travel the world in execution of your allotted tasks? If Harold requested an authentic prawn curry, for example? Would you go to the local takeaway or to Bombay?”

“For an authentic curry?” Devious furrowed his eye ridges. “I'd probably go to Balsall Heath.”

Harold looked at Dill. “Where?”

“Birmingham.” The golem chuckled. “He has a point, though he eluded my question. Have you left the confines of England? Have you partaken of other cultures?”

“Of course he has.” Harold nodded happily. “You should see his bas reliefs based on the Egyptian hieroglyphs. He can do Greek and Roman, too. He's the best sculptor I've ever met.”

No comments: