Sunday, May 26, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 147.06


“Well then.” Dill turned to the imp. “In your travels, have you interacted with other religions?”

“Certainly not.” Devious looked affronted. “I'll have you know I'm a respectable Imp with three broods under my belt.”

“You're deliberately misunderstanding me.” Dill's play-dough eyes narrowed. “Have you been to modern day India? Calcutta, Delhi, Bombay and so on.”

“Yeee-ssss.” Devious looked at Harold but he was able to give the imp no clues. “I used to get curries from there, before I discovered Birmingham used better ingredients.”

“Excellent. So you must have come across the Hindu culture, the deities. Shiva, Vishnu, Ganesha, Kali and so on.”

“I might have done. I might have seen a picture of one, or a statue or something.”

“So you must know if they exist.”

“Of course they don't.”

“They don't?” Dill looked puzzled. But if the Christian deities exist, they can't be the only ones. What about all the ones who came before? Why isn't Kali still slicing the heads off people?”

“Oh, she still does that.”

“What? But you just said...”

“She's a demon, obviously. All other religions are bunkum by definition, right? Therefore the deities of other religions must also be bunkum, but if they exist, which they do because a lot of mortals insist they do, then ipso facto they must be demons, ensnaring mortals into turning away from the One True God. It so so right there in the Bible.”

“Doesn't the Bible say 'Thou shalt have no other gods before Me'?”

“Yes. So?”

“Which implies there are other gods.”

“Other beings people think are gods.” Devious folded his arms. “It doesn't mean they are gods. I think Harold looks delicious. It doesn't mean he's food.” He smiled at his master. “Not yet, anyway.”

No comments: