Saturday, June 15, 2013

Dead Rire chapter 150.01

“Honestly, I'm quite capable of walking to the car.” White twisted his head and torso to see Beryl. “There's really no need for a wheelchair.”

“Hospital rules.” Beryl's mouth was a tight line of determination. “You heard the porter. They can't afford the liability if you fall. Either I push the wheelchair or he does. Your choice.”

“Hmph.” White folded his arms. “You, obviously. At least you wont indulge in patient-in-a-wheelchair races.”

“Of course not.” He felt her lips press against the top of his head and got a whiff of her perfume and face powder. “I couldn't compete with those fit young men.”

White frowned, detecting the teasing in her words but refusing to rise to the bait. “Just get on with it.”

“If you like, love. Sure you wouldn't like a cup of tea before you go?”

“No. The tea's rubbish here.”

“I meant from the café. There's one in reception and it's quite good.”

“No, thank you. I just want to get home.”

“Whatever you say, your Lordship.”

He lowered his voice. “I don't like hospitals. They're full of ill people. I'm always afraid I'm going to catch something whenever I come in here.”

“You had a heart attack, Cameron. It's nothing to be ashamed of.” They left the corridor and entered the large reception area which, thankfully, was under-utilised today. He'd seen it at night and that was a different story. He could smell bacon from the little café. He knew the tea was good there. The bacon, too. What he didn't want was for Beryl to know he used it so often the staff called him by name.

“Let's just get out of here.” He pointed forward like the captain of a starship. “Warp speed.”

No comments: