Saturday, June 1, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 148.05


“You had a heart attack. You almost died.” She stepped forward slapped him hard across the face. It was surprising how much it hurt and he stared at her mutely, his mouth open as the sting intensified and faded.

“You almost died, Cameron. You did die, actually, only Simon performed chest compressions until the ambulance arrived and they resuscitated you.”

“Simon?”

“Sergeant Peters.”

“Oh.” How was he ever going to look Peters in the eye again now that he'd saved his life? He'd be all 'holier than thou' and 'you don't want to eat that sir.”

“Are you even listening?”

What? “Of course, love. I'm sorry. I couldn't help having a heart attack, could I?”

“Yes you could, actually. How many times have I asked you to eat healthily? How many times have I asked you to give up the burgers and the bacon and the sugar in your tea?” She wiped away the tears from her eyes. “You almost died. You almost left me. What would I have done without you?”

“But I didn't, did I? I'm still here, love.”

“You so very nearly weren't. The doctors said you were very lucky.”

White caught her hand and raised it to his lips. He kissed the back of it. She smelled of cold cream and talcum powder, the skin dry and papery, rasping under his lips. The once-smooth skin was speckled with liver spots and sagged with wrinkles. His blushing bride was getting old.

No comments: