Sunday, June 2, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 148.06


“I'll be here a good few years yet, love. I'm too cantankerous for God and the devil doesn't want me poking around.”

“So you say, but oh, Cameron.” Beryl squeezed his hand with the strength of someone who'd scrubbed her front step every day of her life. “You really have to change your diet. Take this episode as a warning, please. Change your eating habits. I know it'll be hard in the beginning but I'll diet with you. We'll both eat healthily and if you cut out sugar and your copper's meals that'll be a big help.” She sighed heavily. “Don't give me that look, love. You know it makes sense.”

“I've no interest in eating rabbit food, love. I don't drink anything other than tea so it's not like I'm going to get liver disease. What have I got if I haven't got food to look forward to?”

“You can still look forward to food, love. I'm not asking you to give up everything you like, just the worst bits of your diet. The sugar and the heavy fat-based meals. I'm not asking you to become a vegetarian anything. Grilled bacon instead of fried. Poached eggs instead of fried. Steamed tomatoes instead of fried.”

White smiled, trying to diffuse the seriousness of the conversation. I think I'm sensing a theme here.”

The nurse bustled in again. “The doctor wants to see you first, but it looks like we're going to discharge you if you agree to having a few days of bed rest. He'll be doing his rounds in an hour, all right?”

“That'd be great. Thanks.”

“Okay.” She checked the chart at the bottom of his bed. “Is there anything I can get you? Cup of tea?”

“That would be perfect.” White smiled properly this time. “Milk and...” He caught Beryl's stern look. “Just milk, please.”

No comments: