Monday, June 10, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 148.07

“Anyway, did you locate any of the soul displaced zombies?”

“Yes, three.” Dill picked up three sheets of paper, though where the printer had come from Harold wasn't sure. He certainly didn't recognise it. “Your missus went haring off after them last night, though, so you might want to check with her first. For all I know, she found them, dispatched them and burned their bodies with magnesium.”

“I doubt that.” Harold half-laughed. “The last part, I mean. I can't imagine Gillian going to the trouble of disposing of the bodies. She'd be more likely to leave them where the police will find them so their families can get closure.”

“That's so sweet of her.”

“Isn't it just?”

“I'm practising expressions.” Dill circled his face with his index finger. “This is the one that means 'I don't care.'”

“Ah. Right.” Harold gave him a terse smile wondering what would happen if he turned the heat up. Play-dough was predominantly flour, wasn't it? It would give a new meaning to 'it's baking in here.' “Wouldn't it have been better to collect the souls from them first? Now we know how, we could have made them replacement golem bodies.”

“Are you completely mad? We spent the last forty hours ridding the world of golems and you want to make more? What did we do all that sneaking about in Magelight for?”

“Those were slaves, though. We freed slaves. I'm talking about free-willed golems like you. They can go back to having normal lives.”

“Like me, you mean? Do you think I could have my normal life back? If I went back to college like this I'd cause a nationwide panic.”

“Well, not like that exactly, but in a year or two, when we've got a new body sorted out. One that will pass for human...”

Dill gave an upward nod. “I'll get right on that.”

No comments: