Friday, June 21, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 150.07

He held up his hands in mock-surrender. All right, love. I give up. Take me home for a cup of tea and whatever's on telly.”

“You won't like the television, Cam. It's all magazine shows or children's cartoons at this time of day and you won't want to watch those.”

“I don't know, love. It might be nice to have a change.”

“If you say so, but don't say I didn't warn you. The doctor said to keep your stress levels down and you know how annoyed you get at the telly.”

“Only when it's crime drama. That sort of thing doesn't happen in real life. I mean, it takes three weeks to get a DNA test back and that's if it's on a rush. Don't get me started on fingerprints.”

“I won't, love.”

“We've just got this new machine in the evidence lab that can take your fingerprints from pressing your hand on the glass. That's clever enough as it it but on the telly they've got instant matching across world databases. It doesn't happen.”

“That's in America, though, surely?”

“America yes. Land of the free, as long as it's free to be spied upon. Not that we're not monitored twenty-four-seven here.” He paused to wave up at a camera. “That'll be the end of Acton's career. When I was her age that was called 'preventing an escape' now it'll be 'undue force on a restrained suspect' and never mind he was making a break for it.” He frowned. “Where was I?”

“On your America rant.”

No comments: