Saturday, June 22, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 150.08

“Yes. If they wanted to look in a British database they'd have to put the request in triplicate and send us a hardcopy by courier. None of this electronic handshake rubbish.” He paused. “Do I really rant?”

“Frequently.” The top of his head received another fleeting kiss. “Though you can carry on if you like. I've learned to switch off when you go on about America. Have you done 'They don't know what policing means' yet?”

White huffed out a long sigh, shaking his head at his own predictability. “Am I that tedious? I'm sorry. You deserve better. What would you like to talk about?”

She laughed, a spontaneous musical cadence that caused several people to stare as she waited for the automatic doors to open. “I can't think of a single topic that would offer you a morsel of interest, Cameron. The only thing I do outside the house is my charity work for the children's ward. That and a bit of shopping and I'm sure you don't want to hear about the supermarket swapping all the shelves about and causing me to waste an hour looking for the blue cheese sauce for your bacon butties.”

His mouth watered at the mention of bacon. “Why don't we go shopping. We haven't been shopping together in years.”

“That's very sweet of you, love, but the doctor said you've got to have bed rest and going shopping together will give us both a stroke.”

“Ha. I see your point.” They paused at the edge of the pavement. At least the sun had come out, though he was glad Beryl had thought to provide him with a warm coat. “Now. Where's the car?”

No comments: