Sunday, June 30, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 151.07

“No.” The harshness of Harold's reply made her jump and he softened. It wasn't her fault she didn't understand social interactions yet. “Sorry, darling. Daddy didn't mean to shout. Giving a woman chocolates is a sign a man wants to begin a closer relationship with her.”

“He can have a closer relationship with me if he wants to.” Lucy clattered her spoon into the cereal bowl and pushed it away. “There are loads of rooms in the floor above mine.”

“That's not what I meant.” Harold grinned as he picked up her bowl and carried it to the sink. If only relationships were as uncomplicated as a child thought they were. He dropped the cloth into the sink to be rinsed out and returned to the table. “Closer relationships between adults mean they want to play mummies and daddies.”

“I've got dolls.”

“Yes but...” He leaned forward to brush a stray lock of air from her forehead. “He'd want to replace me as your daddy and ask me to live somewhere else.”

“But you can't.” Her eyes filled with sudden tears. “You can't not be my daddy any more. I don't want Dill to be my daddy. Tell him he can't.”

“He knows.” He wiped away a tear with his fingertip. “Nobody's going anywhere. Mummy and Daddy love each other very much and we both love you even more than that, so don't worry about anyone going anywhere.”

She nodded and sniffed. “If you say so, Daddy.”

No comments: