Monday, July 8, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 152.01

DI White settled into his easy chair, feeling more uncomfortable than ever, since there was daylight outside. He wasn't used to being idle. “What am I supposed to do?”

“Rest, love.” Beryl pressed the television remote into his hand. “You can do anything you like as long as you don't get yourself worked up.”

“I can't just sit here all day doing nothing. I should be at work. There are cases outstanding.”

“Which can be dealt with by your other officers. Sergeant Peters is more than capable of filling in for you for a few days and you've got that new sergeant, too. What's her name?”

“Wilde. Anna Wilde. Though she's hardly new. She's been here over a year. She'll be looking to move on soon, you mark my words. She's ambitious, that one. Laverstone Serious Crimes is just a stepping stone to the Met or the Anti-terrorist squad.”

“I thought you liked her?”

“She's a competent officer.”

“Well then.” Beryl took the remote back off him and switched the television on, swapping channels until she got to a talk show hosted by an overweight woman in a dress two sizes too small. White guessed the choice of attire must be deliberate. Was the producer making a point about obesity? “I'm sure she's more than capable of looking after your caseload.”

White began patting his pockets. “I just need to check something with Peters...”

“No you don't.” Beryl patted his shoulder. “I've got your mobile. I'll be screening your calls. Now, how about a cup of tea?”

No comments: