Saturday, July 13, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 152.06

White looked at the rest of his sandwich. He was too hungry to say he wasn't hungry but he'd need something the help him battle his way through the rest of it. “Yes, please, love, but perhaps you could drop in one of those sweetening dots you use?”

“Of course, love. I think I've still got some.”

“Don't you use them any more?”

“It shows how long it is since you made me a drink! I haven't used them in six months or more. They were a great help to me when I was giving up sugar but they make everything taste of saccharine.”

He frowned. Was that better or worse than no sugar in his tea? There was only one way to find out. “I'll give it a try, anyway.” He handed her his mug, still three-quarters full with the previous cup. “It's too difficult to go from two sugars to nothing.”

“Two sugars? That's only if I made you a cup. You forget how well I know you, Cameron White. Did you think I wasn't aware of how much sugar you take when you're out and about? I am in the WI, you know, and you're never very far from a member of the Women's Institute.”

“No, I suppose not.” He chuckled politely, imagining Beryl's cronies as undercover spies, then realised he probably nodded a greeting to a dozen of them every day without even thinking about it. “Here, just out of interest, you and your friends haven't seen a giant robot hanging about, have you?”

No comments: