Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 156.09


“Just because I don't know how it works doesn't mean it doesn't.” Frederick pointed at Orias. “I don't know how that thing works but it does. Mostly, anyway.”

“What do you mean, 'mostly'? Orias works perfectly.”

“It can't do, else you wouldn't keep tampering with it. What's that you're adding now?”

“It's a camera.”

“Tch.” Frederick made a clicking sound with his tongue. “I can see it's a camera, lad. I may be a ghost but I've still got eyes in my head.” He paused, frowning. “In a manner of speaking, anyway. Why are you connecting a camera to your thinking box?”

“You might have eyes but Orias hasn't yet, at least not here.” Dill stroked the edge of the monitor as if it were the cheek of a lover. “When he's connected, he can access almost every camera in the world, every one connected to the internet, anyway. Not CCTV. I haven't figured that one out, yet. What he hasn't got, because frankly it was low priority, is eyes here. I was using webcams but Devious...” He gave Frederick the tiniest of bows, “Devious assured me a high-def digital camera and it only a bit of rewiring for me to turn it into the best webcam in the world.”

He typed in a line of code and an image appeared on screen. It showed Dill from a slightly higher elevation and the golem panned out to reveal an emptychair where Frederick was sitting. “Damn.”

“What's up?”

“I was hoping it would pick you up. It's got a huge set of filters and I had the thought you'd appear as a visible entity somewhere along the electromagnetic spectrum but you don't.” He looked back at Frederick. “How can I see you and the camera can't?”

“Any fool could tell you that, lad. You've got the Sight.”

No comments: