Sunday, August 25, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 156.14

“A few months? I can't wait that long. You've got me all fired up to write poetry again.”

“Oh, it won't be that long. There was something about Devious speeding up the process.”

“Oh, yes. He can go backwards in time.” Frederick looked into the distance, or at least the opposite wall. “I wandered empty as a teapot, in winter's cold and nasal snot...”

“You made a living out of this, did you?”

“Not in the slightest. I couldn't even manage the upkeep of the hall. It was a ruin when Harold took it over.”

“That answers my question, thanks.” Dill fiddled with a subroutine. “Damn it.”

“What's the matter?”

“I can't get the camera to work. The computer recognises the connection but won't see a real-time image of you. I can't get it to recognise the supernatural.” Dill unscrewed the camera and studied the settings.

“Do camera work like that?” Frederick looked toward the computer, one hand still up from where he'd been counting syllables on his fingers. “I thought cameras took blurry images of ghosts. White noise and pareidolia.”

“Ha, yes. The grilled-cheese Madonna and Christ on a pizza slice.”

“Exactly. Psycho-somatic suggestion. You can't get a picture of me?”

“Maybe with a film camera. Or a piece of burnt toast exposed to some UV light, but digital cameras can take digital movies as easily as a still. I was hoping I'd be able to get a live feed of you.”

“Can they do that?”

“Apparently not. You've seen a digital camera, surely?” Dill picked up his mobile phone and switched it to camera mode. He took a still photograph then a short movie, turning in a circle around the room. “Here, look.” He showed the results to the ghost, who seemed surprised he wasn't depicted.

“Where do you put the film?”

“That's the point. It's digital sot the images and movie file are stored as a string of binary on the data card. There isn't any film.”

“That's how our vision works, isn't it? The images are stored as electrical impulses in our brain.”

“In a manner of speaking yes. I just need to trick the computer into seeing what we see.”

“Can you do that?”

“Alas, no.”

No comments: