Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 157.16

“Where to, Guv?”

“Parker Street, Wells.” Sefskapoi handed the drive a small card. “As fast as you can, I suppose.”

“I know, but what's the use of them if they don't work?” He held it up to his ear as if it was a watch and he could listen to the ticking. “Anyone would think it was intelligent, the way it stops working just when you need it.”

“You've had that Bloodberry ever since I've know you.” Harold rescued the phone from Jasfoup's claws and tried to reboot it. “Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?”

“Turning it on?” Sefskapoi chuckled. “I didn't know you were that way inclined, old chum. What do you do? Tell it how sexy its buttons are?”

“Don't be ridiculous.” Harold was tired of the two demons behaving so childishly. Lucy was better behaved than either of them, and she wasn't three yet. The phone powered down.

“It doesn't have an off switch, Harold. I told you. It's organic. Turning it off will kill it.”

“Yes but...” Harold stared at the Bloodberry. A single drop of blood welled at the corner of the case and fell to the floor. It would have landed on his trouser leg if he hadn't moved it.

Jasfoup noticed his sudden silence and looked. “You've killed it.”

“No, I...” Harold sighed. “Sorry. I was trying to reboot it.”

“Reboot it? I told you there wasn't an option to reboot it. What did you think this was? The Second Coming”?

“No, but.” Harold frowned. “All phones have a reboot button, surely?”

No comments: