Sunday, September 22, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 158.07

“What does that mean exactly? Do fae ghosts have different abilities to normal ghosts?”

“No, not that I know of.” Frederick looked down at himself. “Pretty much the same as every other ghost, I think, though I can manipulate objects more than most. Not as well as Molly, of course, but beggars can't be choosers.”

“But why are you here? Why don't you go back to fairyland?”

“It's called Fae, too.” The old man smiled. “If I went back to Fae my spirit would join the ancestors to give aid and advice to the population.”

“That sounds pretty cool. What put you off it?”

He gestured toward the image of a shambling mummy. “There's no telly.” He laughed. “Plus the exile, of course. That generally puts a dampener on things.”

“Exile?” Dill wished he could raise his eyebrows properly. He suspected what he was actually doing was just folding flaps of his fake skin over each other. “What did you do to get kicked out of Fairyland? Fae, I mean. Sorry.”

“It's a long story.” Frederick jumped as Delirious put a hand through his thigh, startled by something on screen. “But to cut it short, I was a half-breed born here in the mortal realm. On my coming-of-age I had to choose between Fae and the Middle Lands and I chose to remain here.”

“And they punished you for wanting to stay?”

“Yes. The path was closed to me forever when mother went home.”

“Your mother left you behind?”

“Yes. I had the choice, of course, as did Ada. We both chose to stay.”

“Why?”

“Love.” Frederick snorted. “Unrequited, in my case. I was in love with the vicar's daughter.”

No comments: