Sunday, October 6, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 159.07


Harold waited until the fly-man, whom he decided should be called 'Jeff', had melted back into the press of demonity then tugged on Jasfoup's arm. “Who was that? And where is this 'Land of Shadows' he referred to. I don't think I've ever seen you go pale before.”

Jasfoup's lips tightened, as if he wanted to prevent something spilling out, though whether that something was a confession or a stomach's worth of breakfast he had no clue. “Best we not speak of it.”

“Best we not speak of what? The demon with the Goldblum face or the 'Land of Shadows'?” Harold followed the demon as he took several paces forward, the crowd parting like the Red Sea before Charlton Heston. “I only ask because I think this is something you've never mentioned and as the heir I think I should know about all these other realms, particularly when there are mages involved because that's my speciality.”

Jasfoup leaned down to whisper in his ear. “Just drop the subject, will you? This is neither the time or the place for such a conversation.”

“Why not? Is everyone as frightened as you of this realm?”

Jasfoup nodded. “Pretty much.”

“But why? What did he mean 'where the dead couldn't be called twice?'”

Jasfoup exhaled through a clenched jaw. “Put a sock in it, Harold, before someone overhears you.”

No comments: