Sunday, October 13, 2013

Dead Rite chapter 159.14


“I see.” Harold gave the creature a smile, wondering if he could tell how false it was. “Do you have a name?”

“Why?”The salesman covered part of its chitinous black suit. Harold wondered if he was concealing a name tag but hadn't noticed one while they were talking. “Any decisions made by the store on behalf of, or in respect of the customer are final. We make no apologies for customer dissatisfaction but hope your experiences has been as mildly unpleasant as possible.”

“I was just asking so that I could recommend you to my father.” Harold was careful in his choice of words.

“Oh, I see.” His manner lightened and he withdrew his hand. “Laosfinjali III, at your service.” He gave a short bow. It gave the impression of a cockroach about to perform a quadrille.

“Harold Waterman at yours.” Harold inclined his head momentarily. “Thank you for the courtesy.”

“Thank you for yours, sir. Do mention me to your father.”

“The moment I see him.” Harold turned away and caught up with Jasfoup who'd been watching with a bemused expression.

“What was all that about?”

“I wanted his name so I could mention him to Dad.”

“Ah. To recommend him for a promotion?”

“He thinks so.” Harold glanced back. The sales assistant was already serving another customer but waved when he saw Harold watching. “I'll be recommending something entirely different to my father, though.”

No comments: