Thursday, January 16, 2014

Dead Rite chapter 165.09


“Easy. Worth a fortune, seventies toys.”

“You're telling me.” Harold picked up a pair of chopsticks and began eating. “Somewhat stupidly I sold the lot through a small-ad in the paper. Got two quid for it because I wanted a train set instead. I'm surprised Mum let me sell it, to be honest. It must have cost her more than that just for the Weetabix, let alone the huge number of sets she'd got me over the years.”

“I remember. She agonised about it for a week. If she'd sold it piecemeal she'd have got a hundred times that but you were eight years old and it was your first business deal. I think she died a little inside when you settled for two quid. She knew you'd regret it for ever afterwards.”

“And I did, too.” Harold wrinkled his nose. “What's that smell?”

“Filter coffee, sir.” Devious reached for the Kung Pow Pork and began shovelling it into his mouth. “I put a pot on.”

“I thought you liked tea?”

“I do, sir. Apparently, it's possible to enjoy both. Who would have thought it, eh?” He snuffled through his nose, the imp equivalent to a laugh without actually saying 'ha-ha.' “I got a taste for it from when Julie and Felicia were here. I was tempted by cream and sugar and stayed for the espresso. It takes some getting used to but it's quite a pleasant drink, and popular with the ladies, I'm told.”

“How is it popular with ladies? The ladies I know sit and sip tea in a genteel fashion.”

“I'm not talking about genteel ladies.” Devious made an exaggerated wink. “I'm on about thems that like their cream and sugar.”

No comments: